negative text-indent and arabic (rtl) text

negative text-indent and arabic (rtl) text

jsolutions
I'm having problems "outdenting" arabic text. It appears that positive values of text-indent work when writing-mode="rl", but negative values don't. I am assuming this is a bug?

I have attached some input. Changing the writing-mode="lr" results in output as expected.

I am rendering to PDF, using fop version 1.1.

John C

textIndentArabic.fo
out.pdf
John Cumming - jSolutions Ltd
http://www.jsolutions.co.uk

Re: negative text-indent and arabic (rtl) text

jsolutions
UPDATE: I have also checked against trunk and the output is the same.
John Cumming - jSolutions Ltd
http://www.jsolutions.co.uk

Re: negative text-indent and arabic (rtl) text

Glenn Adams-2

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 4:41 AM, jsolutions <[hidden email]> wrote:
http://apache-fop.1065347.n5.nabble.com/file/n39383/out.pdf

Thanks for this input. Please file a bug against FOP at [1], and be sure to attach your test input and output pdf.

Re: negative text-indent and arabic (rtl) text

jsolutions
Thanks Glenn,

I shall file a bug. For what it's worth, I believe it is due to the text-indent being added as a KnuthInlineBox rather than implemented by increasing the offset / reducing the length of the line for line breaking purposes. I believe this is what TeX does via it's \parshape command. I think the KnuthInlineBox is causing problems with the line breaking. (I shall add that comment to the bug as well).

I will almost certainly need a fix for this so may well make some changes myself in the next week or so.... unless someone beats me to it :)

JC
John Cumming - jSolutions Ltd
http://www.jsolutions.co.uk