[jira] [Commented] (FOP-2728) Persian (Farsi) output problem with FOP

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[jira] [Commented] (FOP-2728) Persian (Farsi) output problem with FOP

JIRA jira@apache.org

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOP-2728?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=16089198#comment-16089198 ]

Jennifer Hodgdon commented on FOP-2728:
---------------------------------------

OK then.  If Navid can confirm whether or not the simple-nolang.pdf file is readable, then we can close this as a duplicate of number 2093 I guess... it seems you (Glenn) would need to do that? I don't see a way to do it, so I assume you have to be a project developer/maintainer to change bug status.

Just FYI, I did try searching for bugs before we submitted this one, to avoid creating a duplicate bug. Even knowing what I know now, it is not obvious to me that our problem is the same as bug 2093... The description and comments are, I'm sure, comprehensible to you (Glenn/developer), but not so much to me (the inexperienced user of this FOP software). So, you might get more duplicate bug reports. ;}

And until this is fixed and the fix released... I also think it would be helpful to put something on the "complex scripts" FOP documentation page about omitting the language attribute to get around this known issue, especially since the complex scripts page explicitly says you might *add* a language attribute if you are having problems with complex scripts. And also because the default DocBook XSLT does put the language attribute in there when it converts DocBook to FO. Just a thought... [Note: I'm heavily involved in the Drupal open-source project, and one of my main areas of contribution has been in the area of documentation (both API and user-facing docs) -- so I'm always thinking about documentation and how to improve it.]


> Persian (Farsi) output problem with FOP
> ---------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: FOP-2728
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOP-2728
>             Project: FOP
>          Issue Type: Bug
>          Components: renderer/pdf
>    Affects Versions: 2.1
>         Environment: Ubuntu 16.04 with xmlto 0.0.28
>            Reporter: Navid Emami
>              Labels: drupal
>         Attachments: mkebooks.sh, pdf-farsi.xsl, sample-output-final.zip, sample-output.zip, simple.fo, simple-nolang.pdf, simple.pdf
>
>
> We are having trouble making Persian (Farsi) language output with FOP.
> We are using the *xmlto* script with the --with-fop option to convert a DocBook file to PDF using FOP, which uses XSLT to first make a FO file, and then FOP to convert to PDF. We used the --noclean option to capture the intermediate FO XML file.
> We have verified that the Persian (Farsi) characters are readable in the DocBook and FO files. However, when we generate the PDF, the output is not readable. There are both _joined_ and _separated_ letters in Persian (Farsi) language but the output in PDF format has just separated ones.
> Note that there are some font issues in the PDF output as well -- missing glyphs -- those show as # characters, and are in the chapter/section headings. However, the main body of the text has no # characters, and it still has this problem.
> *Attachments:*
> * sample-output.zip contains small.docbook, small.fo, small.epub and small.pdf. The final output of PDF should be similar to EPUB.
> * sample-output-full.zip contains guide.epub and guide.pdf which are the complete documents but with wrong rendering of characters in PDF.



--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v6.4.14#64029)
Loading...