[jira] [Commented] (FOP-2728) Persian (Farsi) output problem with FOP

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[jira] [Commented] (FOP-2728) Persian (Farsi) output problem with FOP

JIRA jira@apache.org

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOP-2728?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=16088944#comment-16088944 ]

Jennifer Hodgdon commented on FOP-2728:
---------------------------------------

Hi there, I am the person actually doing the builds...

If we remove the language="fa" attribute from the docbook file, then the text comes out left-to-right instead of right-to-left, so that is not going to work.

I can try  a different font though... do you have any suggestions? FreeFarsi and Farsiweb were suggested by Navid (both have Debian/Ubuntu packages). I also tested "Farsiweb" fonts, but these do not have an Italic version, which is why I settled on FreeFarsi. I had also tried to use Noto fonts, but they do not have a TrueType font that includes Farsi, and I could not get the FOP build to work at all without a TrueType font (as far as I can tell, it doesn't support OpenType fonts, only TrueType).

> Persian (Farsi) output problem with FOP
> ---------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: FOP-2728
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOP-2728
>             Project: FOP
>          Issue Type: Bug
>          Components: renderer/pdf
>    Affects Versions: 2.1
>         Environment: Ubuntu 16.04 with xmlto 0.0.28
>            Reporter: Navid Emami
>              Labels: drupal
>         Attachments: mkebooks.sh, pdf-farsi.xsl, sample-output-final.zip, sample-output.zip
>
>
> We are having trouble making Persian (Farsi) language output with FOP.
> We are using the *xmlto* script with the --with-fop option to convert a DocBook file to PDF using FOP, which uses XSLT to first make a FO file, and then FOP to convert to PDF. We used the --noclean option to capture the intermediate FO XML file.
> We have verified that the Persian (Farsi) characters are readable in the DocBook and FO files. However, when we generate the PDF, the output is not readable. There are both _joined_ and _separated_ letters in Persian (Farsi) language but the output in PDF format has just separated ones.
> Note that there are some font issues in the PDF output as well -- missing glyphs -- those show as # characters, and are in the chapter/section headings. However, the main body of the text has no # characters, and it still has this problem.
> *Attachments:*
> * sample-output.zip contains small.docbook, small.fo, small.epub and small.pdf. The final output of PDF should be similar to EPUB.
> * sample-output-full.zip contains guide.epub and guide.pdf which are the complete documents but with wrong rendering of characters in PDF.



--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v6.4.14#64029)
Loading...