fo file to pdf conversion run much slower on server than on local and command line

fo file to pdf conversion run much slower on server than on local and command line

aluan
I am facing a strange issue where apache fop convert fo file to pdf runs very slow on server (tomcat 7 , liferay 6.2) but fast on local (tomcat 7, liferay 6.2).

on server it takes like 2mins but local only like couple seconds also if use command line on server it is normal taking couple seconds as well.

the pdf is about 80 pages and since xsl file is too big i cannot post it here.

we have monitor GC on local and server and found that on local there are like 1 or 2 minor GC happened and on server minor GC happens every 1 or 2 seconds. and each gc release like 500m memory, so it appears that on server it generates more garbage than on local.

also when running on server, cpu stays at  5% almost like a straight line.

    I have put code sample on stackoverflow: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40266721/apache-fop-conversion-from-fo-file-to-pdf-much-slower-on-server-than-local-and-c

do you guys has any thoughts on what can possibly cause this?

Re: fo file to pdf conversion run much slower on server than on local and command line

Pascal Sancho-2
Hi,

many things can cause such latency: URL resolution (like dtd refs),
LDAP auth, proxy resol, etc. You should monitor your network
communications.

> I am facing a strange issue where apache fop convert fo file to pdf runs very
> slow on server (tomcat 7 , liferay 6.2) but fast on local (tomcat 7, liferay
> 6.2).
>
> on server it takes like 2mins but local only like couple seconds also if use
> command line on server it is normal taking couple seconds as well.
>
> the pdf is about 80 pages and since xsl file is too big i cannot post it
> here.
>
> we have monitor GC on local and server and found that on local there are
> like 1 or 2 minor GC happened and on server minor GC happens every 1 or 2
> seconds. and each gc release like 500m memory, so it appears that on server
> it generates more garbage than on local.
>
> also when running on server, cpu stays at  5% almost like a straight line.
>
>     I have put code sample on stackoverflow:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40266721/apache-fop-conversion-from-fo-file-to-pdf-much-slower-on-server-than-local-and-c
>
> do you guys has any thoughts on what can possibly cause this?

pascal