does FOP support characters defined in a cmap_format_12 font table?

does FOP support characters defined in a cmap_format_12 font table?

ron.vandenbranden
Hi,

I'm trying to find a font that supports 𐌃, or Unicode Character 'OLD
ITALIC LETTER DE' (U+10303). This should be available in the "Noto Sans
Old Italic" font (https://www.google.com/get/noto/#sans-ital).

Yet, even though I successfully register the font in a fop configuration
file, FOP-2.2 reports following warnings:

   INFO: Default page-width set to: 8.26in
   nov 28, 2017 4:37:49 PM org.apache.fop.fo.properties.CommonHyphenation getHyphChar
   WARNING: Substituted specified hyphenation character (0x2d) with 0x20 because the font doesn't have the specified hyphenation character: NotoSansOldItalic,normal,400
   nov 28, 2017 4:37:50 PM org.apache.fop.events.LoggingEventListener processEvent
   WARNING: Glyph "?" (0xd800) not available in font "NotoSansOldItalic".
   nov 28, 2017 4:37:50 PM org.apache.fop.events.LoggingEventListener processEvent
   WARNING: Glyph "?" (0xdf03) not available in font "NotoSansOldItalic".
   nov 28, 2017 4:37:50 PM org.apache.fop.events.LoggingEventListener processEvent
   INFO: Rendered page #1.

When inspecting the PDF file, instead of the character (ideally), or the
substitution character # (fallback), I see "ï¿¿ï¿¿". Minimal XSL-FO test
file and output PDF file attached.

When inspecting the Noto Sans Old Italic CMAP tables via the fonttools
Python library (https://github.com/fonttools/fonttools), I noticed that
the character is mapped in the "cmap_format_12" table. I'll attach the
TTX XML representation of this font, generated via fonttools.

Now, given that I have successfully registered a font (Noto Sans Old
Italic) which allegedly supports this character (OLD ITALIC LETTER DE),
what else should I do in order to make FOP output the actual character?

Kind regards,

Ron

test.fo (496 bytes) Download Attachment
test.pdf (9K) Download Attachment
NotoSansOldItalic-Regular.ttx (5K) Download Attachment

Re: does FOP support characters defined in a cmap_format_12 font table?

ron.vandenbranden
Perhaps I should make clear that this is a general pattern: for all
characters that are exclusively defined in a font's "cmap_format_12"
subtable (and that don't also occur in a "cmap_format_4" subtable), FOP
reports these as non available.

Is this a limitation or bug in FOP, or my misundertanding of how to use
such characters?

Best,

Ron

Re: does FOP support characters defined in a cmap_format_12 font table?

ron.vandenbranden

Thanks for pointing this out. From that issue thread, I gather this won't be resolved in the near future.

Perhaps it's worth, then, pointing this out in the documentation (https://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/2.2/fonts.html) so users won't get false expectations when trying to find suitable fonts for characters that eventually are unsupported by FOP?

Kind regards,

Ron

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 2:35 AM, Ron Van den Branden <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for pointing this out. From that issue thread, I gather this won't be resolved in the near future.

Perhaps it's worth, then, pointing this out in the documentation (https://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/2.2/fonts.html) so users won't get false expectations when trying to find suitable fonts for characters that eventually are unsupported by FOP?

That's a reasonable request.