debug in embedded mode

Matthew Broadhead-2
hi, i am using FOP like
StreamSource xml = new StreamSource(new StringReader(fopjuice));
FopFactory fopFactory = FopFactory.newInstance(new File(".").toURI());
Fop fop = fopFactory.newFop(MimeConstants.MIME_PDF, out);
Transformer transformer = factory.newTransformer();
Result res = new SAXResult(fop.getDefaultHandler());
transformer.transform(xml, res);

How do I turn on debugging?  I am getting this error message which
doesn't make sense to me
javax.xml.transform.TransformerException:
java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 0 >= 0
     at
com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.trax.TransformerImpl.transform(TransformerImpl.java:737)
     at
com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.trax.TransformerImpl.transform(TransformerImpl.java:343)
     at
uk.me.kissy.external.entityBeans.UtilityDao.getXMLParse(UtilityDao.java:191)
     at
uk.me.kissy.external.entityBeans.UtilityDao$$OwbNormalScopeProxy0.getXMLParse(uk/me/kissy/external/entityBeans/UtilityDao.java)
     at
uk.me.kissy.document.dao.DocumentElementDao.getBodyPDF(DocumentElementDao.java:395)

it only happens if i exclude xalan and xml-apis when embedding fop in
TomEE 7.0.3.  when i include the jars it works fine