alternate text extension not working in FOP version 2.0

alternate text extension not working in FOP version 2.0

Eva Chang
Hi,

Trying to use xsl-fo to generate a  pdf for accessibility compliance. Need to add alternate text to images as the first thing. Getting the latest version of FOP 2.0 and follow the example on the website. I've test it with simply one image on the pdf and pdf was generated without any error. However, after opening the document and ran a full check for accessibility still see the warning for missing alternate text on the image and the only way to fix it would be manually apply the alternate text through acrobat. The namespace I was using is "http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/extensions", not sure if it is still a valid one to use. I've tried searching for solutions online and couldn't find anyone has similar problem as I do. Please let me know if you guys know what's the possible problem that alternate-text is not showing without any error message.

Thanks,
Eva

Re: alternate text extension not working in FOP version 2.0

Chris Bowditch
Hi Eva,

I've not seen this problem before. fox:alt-text works fine for me and
passes acrobat preflight. Can you share your complete XSL-FO File?

Thanks,

Chris

Eva

Re: alternate text extension not working in FOP version 2.0

Eva
Hi Chris,

I've simplify the original XSL with only one image for testing purpose and still found alt-text not showing when running a full check on accessibility.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<fo:root xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format" xmlns:fox="http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/extensions" xmlns:h="http://tempuri.org/ReportTypeDataSet.xsd" xmlns:m="http://tempuri.org/MPRDataSet.xsd" xmlns:myObj="urn:myObj">
        <fo:layout-master-set>
                <fo:simple-page-master master-name="mpr-life-pg1" page-width="8.5in" page-height="11in">
                        <fo:region-body region-name="mpr-life-pg1-body" margin-right="0.6in" margin-left="0.6in" margin-bottom="0.5in" margin-top="2in" display-align="center" />
                        <fo:region-before region-name="mpr-life-pg1-before" extent="2in" display-align="after" />
                        <fo:region-after region-name="mpr-life-pg1-after" extent="0.8in" display-align="before" />
                </fo:simple-page-master>
                <fo:simple-page-master master-name="mpr-life-other" page-width="8.5in" page-height="11in">
                        <fo:region-body region-name="mpr-life-other-body" margin-right="0.6in" margin-left="0.6in" margin-bottom="0.5in" margin-top="0.75in" display-align="center" />
                        <fo:region-before region-name="mpr-life-other-before" extent="1.25in" display-align="after" />
                        <fo:region-after region-name="mpr-life-other-after" extent="0.8in" display-align="before" />
                </fo:simple-page-master>
        </fo:layout-master-set>
        <fo:page-sequence initial-page-number="1" master-reference="mpr-life-pg1" force-page-count="no-force" language="en">
                <fo:static-content flow-name="mpr-life-pg1-before">
                        <fo:block top="0.5in" left="0.5in" width="7.5in" height="1.5in" position="absolute" language="en">
                                <fo:external-graphic fox:alt-text="logo" src="http://localhost/PCom3-phase3-t3/images/3441_2.png" />
                        </fo:block>
                </fo:static-content>
                <fo:flow flow-name="mpr-life-pg1-body">
                        <fo:block id="terminator" language="en" />
                </fo:flow>
        </fo:page-sequence>
</fo:root>

Re: alternate text extension not working in FOP version 2.0

Chris Bowditch
Hi Eva,

Did you enable accessibility in the fop.xconf, via the tags:

<accessibility>true</accessibility>

Thanks

Chris

Eva

Re: alternate text extension not working in FOP version 2.0

Eva
Hi Chris,

Yes, the first thing I did was to enable accessibility in the config. Thanks for your help, really appreciated.

Eva
Eva

Re: alternate text extension not working in FOP version 2.0

Eva
Hi Chris,

From FOP's website, it mentions there are 3 ways to turn on accessibility. I've been using the config way by adding accessibility entry in the config. I just tried another way using -a in the command and found the pdf generated was passing the full check for the very first time. I don't know where did I do wrong in the config file. I just got all the files downloaded from the website and adding a new entry in fop.xconf.
<fop version="1.0">
  <accessibility>true</accessibility>

Do I need to change anything else for the program to read from conf/fop.xconf or by default it should read the config file from conf folder? I'm new to FOP, really apprecipated your help here.

Thanks,
Eva

Re: alternate text extension not working in FOP version 2.0

Chris Bowditch
Hi Eva,

If it works with -a option then this suggests the config file isn't
being recognized. You need to specify -c option at command line to use a
config file.

Thanks,

Chris

On 19/10/2015 20:43, Eva wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> >From FOP's website, it mentions there are 3 ways to turn on accessibility.
> I've been using the config way by adding accessibility entry in the config.
> I just tried another way using -a in the command and found the pdf generated
> was passing the full check for the very first time. I don't know where did I
> do wrong in the config file. I just got all the files downloaded from the
> website and adding a new entry in fop.xconf.
> <fop version="1.0">
>    <accessibility>true</accessibility>
>
> Do I need to change anything else for the program to read from
> conf/fop.xconf or by default it should read the config file from conf
> folder? I'm new to FOP, really apprecipated your help here.
>
> Thanks,
> Eva

Re: alternate text extension not working in FOP version 2.0

Eva Chang
Thanks a lot! my config works now. I don't know if you are familiar with adding custom fonts in the config. I'm having trouble with a custom font that I add in the config.  I reference apache fop 2.0 website for custom fonts and still no luck, not sure which step is causing the issue that the font is not register properly.

Config:

xsl:
<fo:block padding-top="0.11in" font-family="Eurostile" font-style="condensed" font-weight="normal" font-size="8pt">

Error:
Invalid property value encountered in font-style="condensed": org.apache
.fop.fo.expr.PropertyException

font question (was Re: alternate text extension not working in FOP version 2.0)

Chris Bowditch
Hi Eva,

style supports only normal or italic currently. Condensed is not a valid
value for the style attribute. I suggest changing it to normal and
putting condensed into the font Triplet name within the fop.xconf along
with changing the font-family in the FO

Thanks,

Chris

On 22/10/2015 20:59, Eva Chang wrote:

> Thanks a lot! my config works now. I don't know if you are familiar with
> adding custom fonts in the config. I'm having trouble with a custom font
> that I add in the config.  I reference apache fop 2.0 website for custom
> fonts and still no luck, not sure which step is causing the issue that the
> font is not register properly.
>
> Config:

> xsl:
> <fo:block padding-top="0.11in" font-family="Eurostile"
> font-style="condensed" font-weight="normal" font-size="8pt">
>

> Error:
> Invalid property value encountered in font-style="condensed": org.apache
> .fop.fo.expr.PropertyException

Eva

Re: font question (was Re: alternate text extension not working in FOP version 2.0)

Eva
Hi Chris,

I'm in the process of converting fop from version 0.25 to version 2. There are several custom fonts and I had no problem registering custom fonts when I specify style with "normal" or "italic" in font-triplet. However, I've a font with different styles which registered as below where style is being used to distinguish the difference from the same font. I assume I can put any style name in font-triplet and I should be able to use it in fo where I need to specify the matching font-family and style. My current work around would be register each style with a unique name in font-triplet and change all the corresponding references in fo. I just want to verify if the newer version of FOP won't be able to specific any other styles other than "normal" and "italic" in <font-triplet> in the config. Or I'm missing something in the config in order to add a new style. Do I need a metric-url in this case??

fop.xconf:

fo:
(Error: Invalid property value encountered in font-style="condensed" )
<fo:block text-align="center" space-after.optimum="3pt" font-family="Eurostile" font-style="condensed" font-weight="normal" font-size="8pt" color="white">April 30, 2015</fo:block>

(No error produce when having the same config, but changing the font-style from condense to normal in fo then it works)
<fo:block text-align="center" space-after.optimum="3pt" font-family="Eurostile" font-style="normal" font-weight="normal" font-size="8pt" color="white">April 30, 2015</fo:block>

Re: font question (was Re: alternate text extension not working in FOP version 2.0)

Pascal Sancho-2
Hi,
You don't need metric files anymore since v0.95 (or earlier, don't
remember exactly).

To have both normal, extended, or condensed fonts, you have to name
them differently, style attribute is only used to distinguish regular
Vs italic.

The main improvement in font variations, between v0.2.x and after, is
the weight attribute that support numeric values, allowing to map
'light', 'normal', 'medium', 'bold', etc. to 300, 400, 500, 700, etc.