Trying to use font Quicksand

Chris Dams
Dear all,

I am trying to use the font Quicksand (https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/quicksand) with fop. This is an opentype font. I am generating PDF. I installed the font on Windows. When I use cygwin and list the files in the Windows/Fonts directory it lists "Quicksand_Dash.otf  Quicksand-Bold.otf  Quicksand-BoldItalic.otf  Quicksand-Italic.otf  Quicksand-Light.otf  Quicksand-LightItalic.otf  Quicksand-Regular.otf". When I go to the directory with Windows Explorer it shows files "Quicksand" and "Quicksand Dash Extra Light". I can choose the font Qiucksand in Word and this works. In my fo file I also try to use this font by doing font-family="Quicksand". This, however, does not work. Instead Times is displayed. When I run fop from the command line by running "fop.bat <infile> <outfile>", I see the warning "WARNING: Font "Quicksand,normal,400" not found. Substituting with "any,normal,400". The page https://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/2.1/fonts.html suggests that this should work out of the box. Am I missing something?

Have a nice day,
Chris

Re: Trying to use font Quicksand

Szeak (Register Man)
Hi,

You need configure the fop for your output renderer to <auto-detect/>
mode. See FOP Configuration on the web.

Szeak

> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to use the font Quicksand
> (https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/quicksand) with fop. This is an
> opentype font. I am generating PDF. I installed the font on Windows.
> When I use cygwin and list the files in the Windows/Fonts directory it
> lists "Quicksand_Dash.otf  Quicksand-Bold.otf
> Quicksand-BoldItalic.otf  Quicksand-Italic.otf Quicksand-Light.otf
> Quicksand-LightItalic.otf Quicksand-Regular.otf". When I go to the
> directory with Windows Explorer it shows files "Quicksand" and
> "Quicksand Dash Extra Light". I can choose the font Qiucksand in Word
> and this works. In my fo file I also try to use this font by doing
> font-family="Quicksand". This, however, does not work. Instead Times
> is displayed. When I run fop from the command line by running "fop.bat
> <infile> <outfile>", I see the warning "WARNING: Font
> "Quicksand,normal,400" not found. Substituting with "any,normal,400".
> The page https://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/2.1/fonts.html suggests
> that this should work out of the box. Am I missing something?
>
> Have a nice day,
> Chris

Re: Trying to use font Quicksand

Chris Bowditch
Hi Chris,

In order to use custom fonts in FOP you need to add them into the
fop.xconf file. You can add the auto-detect element as mentioned below
but it is recommended that you configure each font you require
individually within the fop.xconf file. This allow you to use the name
you prefer (autodetect can sometime use unexpected names), and avoids
importing every font from the Operating System. See [1] for further details

Thanks

Chris

[1] https://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/fonts.html