Standard XSL (FO)

Matthias Wessendorf
Hi,

since I am currently evaluating css2xslfo and testing with FOP, I saw problems on FOP, that it is not 100% standard conform.
(I was using XHTML tables and tested css2xslfo with FOP support)

However, does anybody know a tool, stylesheet or something else, that helps to converts *standard* XSL (FO)
to FOP specific XSL (FO) ?

That would be great!!!

-Matthias

Re: Standard XSL (FO)

Chris Bowditch
Matthias Wessendorf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> since I am currently evaluating css2xslfo and testing with FOP, I saw problems on FOP, that it is not 100% standard conform.
> (I was using XHTML tables and tested css2xslfo with FOP support)
>
> However, does anybody know a tool, stylesheet or something else, that helps to converts *standard* XSL (FO)
> to FOP specific XSL (FO) ?

There is no such thing. Although there are some work arounds and tricks for
some missing features in FOP, such as using markers instead of
page-position="last", not everything can be achieved in FOP. You will have to
manually tweak either the FO produced by css2xslfo, or the css, or the
css2xslfo program.

Chris

RE: Standard XSL (FO)

Matthias Wessendorf
Chris,

thanks for your mail. I saw on

http://xml.apache.org/fop/compliance.html#fo-property-table-layout

that table-layout is *not* supported by FOP, but when I use table-layout="fixed"
all is fine.

However, do you know a tutorial, a paper or something else that presents all work arounds?

Thanks,
Matthias

RE: Standard XSL (FO)

Matthias Wessendorf
or another question.

since I am not bound to css2xslfo, is there a tool that
generates (X)HTML into FOP specific XSL ? That would be fine too for me ;)

Thanks,
Matthias

Re: Standard XSL (FO)

Clay Leeds-2
On Jun 2, 2005, at 5:30 AM, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
> or another question.
>
> since I am not bound to css2xslfo, is there a tool that
> generates (X)HTML into FOP specific XSL ? That would be fine too for
> me ;)
>
> Thanks,
> Matthias

The FOP FAQ page has recently been updated to cover some tools and
options for converting XHTML to FO:

http://xml.apache.org/fop/faq.html#xhtml-to-pdf

Regards,

Web Maestro Clay
--
<[hidden email]> - <http://homepage.mac.com/webmaestro/>
- HH The 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet

RE: Standard XSL (FO)

Matthias Wessendorf
Okay thanks,

html2fo is also a tool I know, but it is C based.
A pure Java lib would be more interessting in my case, since
I wanna use it inside of my application server.

Ok, another hint; the http://xml.apache.org/fop/resources.html
contains no link to css2xslfo (XHTML->FO)
(see more http://www.re.be/css2xslfo/)

It would be fine, if this tool could be added.

Thanks,
Matthias

On Jun 2, 2005, at 11:59 PM, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
> Okay thanks,
>
> html2fo is also a tool I know, but it is C based.
> A pure Java lib would be more interessting in my case, since
> I wanna use it inside of my application server.

I don't know how to help. I haven't had to make that conversion...

> Ok, another hint; the http://xml.apache.org/fop/resources.html
> contains no link to css2xslfo (XHTML->FO)
> (see more http://www.re.be/css2xslfo/)
>
> It would be fine, if this tool could be added.
>
> Thanks,
> Matthias

Thanks! I've added css2xslfo to the FOP Resources page. It should show
up on the LIVE FOP site in a few hours (I think the site updates every
6 hours or so).

Regards,

Web Maestro Clay
--
<[hidden email]> - <http://homepage.mac.com/webmaestro/>
- HH The 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet

Help Regarding converting xml to pdf and populate the pdf

Krishna Kishore .J
Hi All,

 I am new to FOP. I want to know whether there is a way using FOP to convert
the
pdf form templates in .xdp format to pdf form, populate the form fields and
generate a final pdf with the populated form fields.

Thanks in advance
Krishna Kishore

Re: Help Regarding converting xml to pdf and populate the pdf

Clay Leeds-2
On Jun 3, 2005, at 11:26 PM, Krishna Kishore .J wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>  I am new to FOP. I want to know whether there is a way using FOP to
> convert
> the pdf form templates in .xdp format to pdf form, populate the form
> fields and
> generate a final pdf with the populated form fields.

To my knowledge, FOP is not currently capable of creating PDF form
fields. It may be possible to post-process the FOP's PDF output using a
tool like iText (see [1] for more tools). If .xdp contains the semantic
information which has become standard in .xml files (where tags
describe information as opposed to layout), then it may be possible to
transform .xdp files. However, it may make more sense to use the source
files used to generate the .xdp files (if they .xdp files are
transformed from some source--see [2] for some possibly related info).

[1] FOP Resources
http://xml.apache.org/fop/resources.html

[2] Converting XHTML to PDF