Scrollable region in generated PDF

GK

Scrollable region in generated PDF

GK
I'm using Apache FOP to generate a PDF through XML and XSL-FO. I have a cell in my generated PDF that I need to be able to scroll through if the content overflows it. XSL-FO has an overflow="scroll" feature, but based on my research on the topic it seems that Apache FOP does not support this option.

Is there any way to enable this feature in Apache FOP? Is it possible to enable it in the source code? Any other ways to tackle this issue (ie some sort of post-processing or converting between different formats that I could try)?

Re: Scrollable region in generated PDF

Andreas Delmelle-2
Hi

> On 19 Jul 2016, at 18:48, GK <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm using Apache FOP to generate a PDF through XML and XSL-FO. I have a cell
> in my generated PDF that I need to be able to scroll through if the content
> overflows it. XSL-FO has an overflow="scroll" feature, but based on my
> research on the topic it seems that Apache FOP does not support this option.
>
> Is there any way to enable this feature in Apache FOP?

Right now, AFAIK, no. :(

> Is it possible to enable it in the source code?

If PDF supports it, then probably yes, but... this requires some familiarity with the source code. Personally, I am not even sure whether this is possible in PDF. If it is, then if one is familiar with the PDF spec, it would probably be possible to make FOP support it.

> Any other ways to tackle this issue (ie some sort of post-processing or converting between different formats that I could
> try)?

Not sure here. It all depends on whether the PDF spec supports this in the first place... I would have to check myself if it does, so if anybody knows the answer to this and can save us some time, feel free to chime in.

Cheers

Andreas

Re: Scrollable region in generated PDF

paul womack
GK wrote:
> I'm using Apache FOP to generate a PDF through XML and XSL-FO. I have a cell
> in my generated PDF that I need to be able to scroll through if the content
> overflows it. XSL-FO has an overflow="scroll" feature, but based on my
> research on the topic it seems that Apache FOP does not support this option.

Since FO is a multi-target language, not all feature can be implemented
in all targets.

Since PDF itself does not (AFAIK) support scrollable regions, FOP
cannot honour this XSL-FO feature when generating PDF.

  BugBear