PDF/A-1a compliancy and PDF version 1.4

Peder-3
Hi list,

I have a question about the PDF/A-1a compliancy of the PDF that FOP produces.
We produce PDF/A-1a compliant PDF for a customer of us. But I think there is a problem with the tagging of tables.
When PDF/A-1a is selected the PDF version needs to be 1.4 according to the documentation.
But the renderer tries to output THead TBody and TFoot tags in the PDF for the appropriate table elements.
Only the PDF 1.4 does not support THead, TBody and TFoot tags and  when the PDF/A-1a compliancy is being tested, the three tags are being reported as failures.
Is this a bug?

Best regards,

Peder

Re: PDF/A-1a compliancy and PDF version 1.4

Wim VN
I have been using FOP to create PDF/A myself and have reported some of my findings here before. The issue you report here is new to me, but doesn't change the fact that FOP doesn't pretend to be completely pdf/A compliant. The main reason is that the standards document isn't freely available. See: http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/PDFA1ConformanceNotes

You could possibly bypass the mentioned table tags by use of an additional xslt step? (Or alter the xslt you might have in use already.)

Regards
Wim

Peder-3 wrote
Hi list,

I have a question about the PDF/A-1a compliancy of the PDF that FOP produces.
We produce PDF/A-1a compliant PDF for a customer of us. But I think there is a problem with the tagging of tables.
When PDF/A-1a is selected the PDF version needs to be 1.4 according to the documentation.
But the renderer tries to output THead TBody and TFoot tags in the PDF for the appropriate table elements.
Only the PDF 1.4 does not support THead, TBody and TFoot tags and  when the PDF/A-1a compliancy is being tested, the three tags are being reported as failures.
Is this a bug?

Best regards,

Peder

Re: PDF/A-1a compliancy and PDF version 1.4

Terence M. Bandoian
  On 5/23/2011 9:06 AM, Peder wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I have a question about the PDF/A-1a compliancy of the PDF that FOP produces.
> We produce PDF/A-1a compliant PDF for a customer of us. But I think there is a problem with the tagging of tables.
> When PDF/A-1a is selected the PDF version needs to be 1.4 according to the documentation.
> But the renderer tries to output THead TBody and TFoot tags in the PDF for the appropriate table elements.
> Only the PDF 1.4 does not support THead, TBody and TFoot tags and  when the PDF/A-1a compliancy is being tested, the three tags are being reported as failures.
> Is this a bug?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Peder

Hi-

First, I am relatively new to the list and would like to thank all
involved for their work.  Apache FOP is a valuable and useful tool and I
appreciate everyone's efforts.

Using version 1.0, I was able to work around the problems I encountered
generating PDF/A-1a compliant documents but wanted to report them here
in case they might be of some help.  To get around the problem with
tables, as described in the original post, I modified my XSL to use
list-blocks instead.  The other significant problem was with metadata.
Apparently, PDF/A-1a requires the more complex forms of the metadata
elements which I was unable to generate with the FOUserAgent methods.
As a workaround, I inserted the following into the XSL input stream:

<fo:declarations>
<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/">
<rdf:RDF
         xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">

<rdf:Description rdf:about="">

<dc:title>
<rdf:Alt>
<rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">

     /* my title here */

</rdf:li>
</rdf:Alt>
</dc:title>

<dc:creator>
<rdf:Seq>
<rdf:li>

     /* my author here */

</rdf:li>
</rdf:Seq>
</dc:creator>

<dc:description>
<rdf:Alt>
<rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">

     /* my description here */

</rdf:li>
</rdf:Alt>
</dc:description>

<dc:date>
<rdf:Seq>
<rdf:li></rdf:li>
</rdf:Seq>
</dc:date>

</rdf:Description>

</rdf:RDF>
</x:xmpmeta>
</fo:declarations>

I WAS able to use FOUserAgent.setCreationDate() successfully but the
<dc:date> element above was required to make the document compliant.
Setting the other values with FOUserAgent methods resulted non-compliant
documents with or without the XML above.

Thanks again for the excellent work.

-Terence Bandoian

Re: PDF/A-1a compliancy and PDF version 1.4

Vincent Hennebert-2
Hi Peder,

(Sorry for the delay.)

On 23/05/11 15:06, Peder wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have a question about the PDF/A-1a compliancy of the PDF that FOP produces.
> We produce PDF/A-1a compliant PDF for a customer of us. But I think there is a problem with the tagging of tables.
> When PDF/A-1a is selected the PDF version needs to be 1.4 according to the documentation.
> But the renderer tries to output THead TBody and TFoot tags in the PDF for the appropriate table elements.
> Only the PDF 1.4 does not support THead, TBody and TFoot tags and  when the PDF/A-1a compliancy is being tested, the three tags are being reported as failures.
> Is this a bug?

Yes, an oversight when accessibility was implemented. Some standard
structure types appeared only in PDF 1.5.

You can override the default structure type assigned to each FO element
using the role attribute. In the case of table-header/footer/body you
would probably want to replace it with the generic Div structure type:
  <fo:table-header role="Div" ...>

This should make your document 1.4-compliant again.

> Best regards,
>
> Peder

HTH,
Vincent