Multi Threaded engine

Theresa Forster

I would like to know is anyone working on a multi threaded version of fop,

The thing that I discovered was that when creating a PDF with lots of images if the images are using external links then it tends to take a long time to actually get them and put them into a document, I was wondering whether there was any plans or the ability to quickly scan the external links and then using multiple threads to get the images in parallel to reduce the download and creation time.

Example:

Document using external image links : 3 minutes.

Document preparation (xml->fo processing ) 1 second

Image Download 2 minutes 53 seconds

Fo-> PDF : 6 seconds

Splitting that down

All images downloading in parallel 8 seconds:

In Series 2 minutes 53 seconds

So if the images were “cached in parallel” then the time would drop from 3 minutes to 15 seconds processing time.

Theresa

Re: Multi Threaded engine

J.Pietschmann
Am 31.08.2012 16:11, schrieb Theresa Jayne Forster:
> I was wondering whether
> there was any plans or the ability to quickly scan the external links and
> then using multiple threads to get the images in parallel to reduce the
> download and creation time.

Definitely an interesting idea, but there's nobody working on it. I'll
open a low-priority bug so that it wont be forgotten, I also suspect
if this is properly implemented also local image loading might become
faster.

However, loading remotetly stored images will always be quite a bit
slower than locally stored images. Running a kind of local cache is
highly recommended.

J.Pietschmann