How to render fonts as shape in Apache FOP 2.3

How to render fonts as shape in Apache FOP 2.3

Schlatow, Sebastian
Hello,

I want to update an old FOP 0.94 to the new FOP 2.3. In the old FOP
fonts are rendered as shapes. I would like to preserve this behavior,
so I tried to set the following to the PDFTranscoder.:

   PDFTranscoder pdfTranscoder = new PDFTranscoder();
   pdfTranscoder.addTranscodingHint(PDFTranscoder.KEY_STROKE_TEXT,
Boolean.TRUE);

but if do that, no fonts are rendered in the outcoming PDF.

If I remove:

   pdfTranscoder.addTranscodingHint(PDFTranscoder.KEY_STROKE_TEXT,
Boolean.TRUE);

then the text is in outcoming PDF, but not rendered as shape.

How can I tell FOP to render fonts as shapes?

Best regards

Sebastian Schlatow

CEWE Stiftung & Co. KGaA mit Sitz in Oldenburg; Registergericht Oldenburg HR B 208214; Persönlich haftende geschäftsführende und vertretungsberechtigte Gesellschafterin:
Neumüller CEWE COLOR Stiftung, Sitz: Oldenburg;
Stiftungsverzeichnis der rechtsfähigen Stiftungen des bürgerlichen Rechts im Bezirk der Regierungsvertretung Oldenburg Nummer 15(034).
Stiftungsvorstand:
Dr. Christian Friege (Vorsitzender), Patrick Berkhouwer, Dr. Reiner Fageth, Carsten Heitkamp, Dr. Olaf Holzkämper, Thomas Mehls, Frank Zweigle
Aufsichtsrat:
Otto Korte (Vorsitzender)
UST ID-Nr. DE815453806; St.-Nr. 64/200/38999; GLN 40 04468 00000 4

Re: How to render fonts as shape in Apache FOP 2.3

Warren Young
On Aug 27, 2019, at 1:55 AM, Schlatow, Sebastian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> fonts are rendered as shapes. I would like to preserve this behavior,

You are *trying* to make your documents inaccessible to screen readers, search engines, etc?  Why?

Re: How to render fonts as shape in Apache FOP 2.3

Schlatow, Sebastian
We need that behavior to avoid complications in the production
preprocessing. The software, which prepares the PDFs for the printing
presses, needs the font as shapes.

Am Dienstag, den 27.08.2019, 10:28 -0600 schrieb Warren Young:

> On Aug 27, 2019, at 1:55 AM, Schlatow, Sebastian <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> > fonts are rendered as shapes. I would like to preserve this
> > behavior,
>
> You are *trying* to make your documents inaccessible to screen
> readers, search engines, etc?  Why?

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> [hidden email]

CEWE Stiftung & Co. KGaA mit Sitz in Oldenburg; Registergericht Oldenburg HR B 208214; Persönlich haftende geschäftsführende und vertretungsberechtigte Gesellschafterin:
Neumüller CEWE COLOR Stiftung, Sitz: Oldenburg;
Stiftungsverzeichnis der rechtsfähigen Stiftungen des bürgerlichen Rechts im Bezirk der Regierungsvertretung Oldenburg Nummer 15(034).
Stiftungsvorstand:
Dr. Christian Friege (Vorsitzender), Patrick Berkhouwer, Dr. Reiner Fageth, Carsten Heitkamp, Dr. Olaf Holzkämper, Thomas Mehls, Frank Zweigle
Aufsichtsrat:
Otto Korte (Vorsitzender)
UST ID-Nr. DE815453806; St.-Nr. 64/200/38999; GLN 40 04468 00000 4

Re: How to render fonts as shape in Apache FOP 2.3

Schlatow, Sebastian
Hello, I also have asked this question on stackoverflow:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/57656624/how-to-render-fonts-as-shape-in-apache-fop-2-3

But even there I have not yet received an answer. Is it not possible to
render fonts as curves / shapes anymore?

Am Dienstag, den 27.08.2019, 07:55 +0000 schrieb Schlatow, Sebastian:

> Hello,
>
> I want to update an old FOP 0.94 to the new FOP 2.3. In the old FOP
> fonts are rendered as shapes. I would like to preserve this behavior,
> so I tried to set the following to the PDFTranscoder.:
>
>    PDFTranscoder pdfTranscoder = new PDFTranscoder();
>    pdfTranscoder.addTranscodingHint(PDFTranscoder.KEY_STROKE_TEXT,
> Boolean.TRUE);
>
> but if do that, no fonts are rendered in the outcoming PDF.
>
> If I remove:
>
>    pdfTranscoder.addTranscodingHint(PDFTranscoder.KEY_STROKE_TEXT,
> Boolean.TRUE);
>
> then the text is in outcoming PDF, but not rendered as shape.
>
> How can I tell FOP to render fonts as shapes?
>

> Best regards
>
> Sebastian Schlatow
>

> CEWE Stiftung & Co. KGaA mit Sitz in Oldenburg; Registergericht
> Oldenburg HR B 208214; Persönlich haftende geschäftsführende und
> vertretungsberechtigte Gesellschafterin:
> Neumüller CEWE COLOR Stiftung, Sitz: Oldenburg;
> Stiftungsverzeichnis der rechtsfähigen Stiftungen des bürgerlichen
> Rechts im Bezirk der Regierungsvertretung Oldenburg Nummer 15(034).
> Stiftungsvorstand:
> Dr. Christian Friege (Vorsitzender), Patrick Berkhouwer, Dr. Reiner
> Fageth, Carsten Heitkamp, Dr. Olaf Holzkämper, Thomas Mehls, Frank
> Zweigle
> Aufsichtsrat:
> Otto Korte (Vorsitzender)
> UST ID-Nr. DE815453806; St.-Nr. 64/200/38999; GLN 40 04468 00000 4

CEWE Stiftung & Co. KGaA mit Sitz in Oldenburg; Registergericht Oldenburg HR B 208214; Persönlich haftende geschäftsführende und vertretungsberechtigte Gesellschafterin:
Neumüller CEWE COLOR Stiftung, Sitz: Oldenburg;
Stiftungsverzeichnis der rechtsfähigen Stiftungen des bürgerlichen Rechts im Bezirk der Regierungsvertretung Oldenburg Nummer 15(034).
Stiftungsvorstand:
Dr. Christian Friege (Vorsitzender), Patrick Berkhouwer, Dr. Reiner Fageth, Carsten Heitkamp, Dr. Olaf Holzkämper, Thomas Mehls, Frank Zweigle
Aufsichtsrat:
Otto Korte (Vorsitzender)
UST ID-Nr. DE815453806; St.-Nr. 64/200/38999; GLN 40 04468 00000 4

Re: How to render fonts as shape in Apache FOP 2.3

Matt Kynaston
Apparently not: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/XMLGRAPHICSBATIK/PdfTranscoder

--

Matt Kynaston
Lead Developer

Claritum Limited. Registered Office: Minerva House, Lower Bristol Road, Bath, BA2 9ER. Registered in England and Wales 3878694