Embedded XML->PDF performance vs CLI: Why so slow?

Embedded XML->PDF performance vs CLI: Why so slow?

Tory S. Anderson
This is also posted on SO[1], with the code.

Using XML and XSL, in less than a second the CLI program produces
the desired PDF. My embedded program in Clojure, which follows the
example code (ExampleXML2PDF.java)  closely, uses the same XML and
XSL to produce the same PDF -- but it takes it around a full
minute. I've tried sifting through the example code to find places
optimizations occur, but I'm hoping someone here can help me know
how to get around the tremendous time sink that seems to occur
with my transformer.transform call.

Thanks,
- Tory

Footnotes: [1]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/36802128/embedding-fop-xml-to-pdf-why-so-slow-vs-cli

Re: Embedded XML->PDF performance vs CLI: Why so slow?

Alexios Giotis
Hi Tory,

The execution time of ExampleXML2PDF.java & other examples in an IDE, is similar to the CLI version. Thus, there is no significant optimisation to do in the example code. I think this is due to running within a REPL but I have no Clojure skills to help you more on this. A profiler or frequent thread dumps should help locate where the time is consumed.  You could also execute the code 10 or more times in a loop and each time print the elapsed time to understand if the full minute is mostly a startup cost or a runtime cost.