Correct legal wording for mentioning FOP?

Correct legal wording for mentioning FOP?

JBryant
Hi, gang,

I'm writing a case study about how I produced a 1700-page PDF description
of a database with FOP (and 1300+ HTML files with Saxon 8). Naturally, I
want to get the legal bit at the bottom of the page right. My editor can
probably deal with it, but I'd rather help her out than make her puzzle it
out herself (and I'd rather clear these small roadblocks that will slow
the article being published). Besides, I don't want to trample the
intellectual property of one of my favorite organizations

So, what is the proper way to cite FOP? Sun requires "JavaHelp is a
trademark of Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the U.S. and other countries." (I'm
adding JavaHelp output to the system, too, by the way). Does FOP require
something similar? If so, what is the approved wording?

Thanks much.

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services

Re: Correct legal wording for mentioning FOP?

gmazza
IANAL, but I don't think I've ever seen such a copyright notice for an
Apache product.  People just seem to write "Apache FOP", "Cocoon",
"Apache Struts", etc. in their writing.  I'm unsure if FOP is even a
trademark.

Glen

[hidden email] write:

>Hi, gang,
>
>I'm writing a case study about how I produced a 1700-page PDF description
>of a database with FOP (and 1300+ HTML files with Saxon 8). Naturally, I
>want to get the legal bit at the bottom of the page right. My editor can
>probably deal with it, but I'd rather help her out than make her puzzle it
>out herself (and I'd rather clear these small roadblocks that will slow
>the article being published). Besides, I don't want to trample the
>intellectual property of one of my favorite organizations
>
>So, what is the proper way to cite FOP? Sun requires "JavaHelp is a
>trademark of Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the U.S. and other countries." (I'm
>adding JavaHelp output to the system, too, by the way). Does FOP require
>something similar? If so, what is the approved wording?
>
>Thanks much.
>
>Jay Bryant
>Bryant Communication Services
>(presently consulting at Synergistic Solution Technologies)

Re: Correct legal wording for mentioning FOP?

Jeremias Maerki
The ASF (Apache Software Foundation) does not register trademarks,
usually. Still, these are "trademarks", so if you want to refer to FOP
properly, please use "Apache FOP". Apache FOP is a product of the
"Apache XML Graphics project".

I don't think you need to list the ASF's trademarks as you have to do
with Sun's, but thanks for checking back with us.

On 17.05.2005 22:19:16 JBryant wrote:

> Hi, gang,
>
> I'm writing a case study about how I produced a 1700-page PDF description
> of a database with FOP (and 1300+ HTML files with Saxon 8). Naturally, I
> want to get the legal bit at the bottom of the page right. My editor can
> probably deal with it, but I'd rather help her out than make her puzzle it
> out herself (and I'd rather clear these small roadblocks that will slow
> the article being published). Besides, I don't want to trample the
> intellectual property of one of my favorite organizations
>
> So, what is the proper way to cite FOP? Sun requires "JavaHelp is a
> trademark of Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the U.S. and other countries." (I'm
> adding JavaHelp output to the system, too, by the way). Does FOP require
> something similar? If so, what is the approved wording?

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Correct legal wording for mentioning FOP?

Clay Leeds-2
IANAL2 and I tend to agree with Glen here. I searched for some sort of
Trademarked notice and couldn't find one, although I did see a
Copyright notice at the bottom of all of the Apache FOP pages[1]. The
notice indicates:

Copyright © 1999-2005 The Apache Software Foundation.

I think it would be sufficient to identify Apache FOP by including the
URL[1] with your disclaimer (or however you reference it). Here's an
idea I took from the XML Graphics page[2]:

Apache FOP <http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/> is a print formatter &
renderer for XSL-FO (FO=formatting objects), based in Java. Apache FOP
is a sub-project of the Apache XML Graphics Project
<http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/>.

Hope this helps!

Web Maestro Clay

[1]
<http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/>
[2]

On May 17, 2005, at 8:03 PM, Glen Mazza wrote:

> IANAL, but I don't think I've ever seen such a copyright notice for an
> Apache product.  People just seem to write "Apache FOP", "Cocoon",
> "Apache Struts", etc. in their writing.  I'm unsure if FOP is even a
> trademark.
>
> Glen
>
> [hidden email] write:
>
>> Hi, gang,
>>
>> I'm writing a case study about how I produced a 1700-page PDF
>> description of a database with FOP (and 1300+ HTML files with Saxon
>> 8). Naturally, I want to get the legal bit at the bottom of the page
>> right. My editor can probably deal with it, but I'd rather help her
>> out than make her puzzle it out herself (and I'd rather clear these
>> small roadblocks that will slow the article being published).
>> Besides, I don't want to trample the intellectual property of one of
>> my favorite organizations
>>
>> So, what is the proper way to cite FOP? Sun requires "JavaHelp is a
>> trademark of Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the U.S. and other countries."
>> (I'm adding JavaHelp output to the system, too, by the way). Does FOP
>> require something similar? If so, what is the approved wording?
>>
>> Thanks much.
>>
>> Jay Bryant
>> Bryant Communication Services
>> (presently consulting at Synergistic Solution Technologies)

Regards,

Web Maestro Clay
--
<[hidden email]> - <http://homepage.mac.com/webmaestro/>