Carlito font + non-breaking space

Matt Kynaston
Hi,

I'm having a weird problem when using the Carlito font from google-crosextra-carlito-fonts. When I embed the font all non-breaking spaces display as '#', indicating the glyph can't be found.

I'm 99% sure the font contains that glyph. The same text renders fine in a text editor when using Carlito. And if I switch to referencing Carlito instead of embedding it renders fine.

Switching the non-breaking space to an &#xA0 entity makes no difference. Other google fonts (like Noto Sans) display non-breaking spaces correctly.

So I'm beginning to think it's down to FOP. But I have no idea where to start tracking this down.

I'm using FOP 2.3, Java 1.8. The fonts are auto-detected. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Re: Carlito font + non-breaking space

Matt Kynaston
I'm 99% sure the font contains that glyph.

Well I was wrong - it doesn't. After messing around with FontForge for a bit I managed to add the glyph and the tofu has gone :)

If anyone's stuck with something similar, FontForge is a handy tool.